Some weeks ago, I the chance to order a new desktop machine in the office. Since I’m working with macOS for some years now and I already developed a good workflow, I decided to try to install macOS on it.
I read up on some guides and finally decided to order the parts which are listed on this website. This is what I got:
- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Midi-Tower
- BitFenix Formula 80 Plus Gold - 650 Watt
- Gigabyte H370 HD3, Intel H370 Mainboard
- Intel Core i7-8700K 3,7 GHz (Coffee Lake)
- Alpenföhn Brocken 2 PCGH Edition CPU-Kühler - 140 mm
- Crucial Ballistix Sport AT, DDR4-2666, CL16 - 32 GB Dual-Kit
- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 OC WindForce 2X, 8192 MB GDDR5
- Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD, PCIe 3.0 M.2 Typ 2280 - 500 GB
- Seagate BarraCuda HDD, SATA 6G, 7200 U/min, 3,5 Zoll - 2 TB
I decided to go for an Nvidia graphics card, even though I can’t install Mojave on the machine yet, because I would like to be able to run Tensorflow stuff on the machine at some point.
At first, I tried to install macOS using this guide but without success. I was able to run the first installation step, but couldn’t boot from the new installation afterward to finish installing.
However, using this guide I finally managed to install High Sierra, I think the first (unibeast based) guide, was missing some kernel extensions. After installing, everything except the ethernet connection was working fine. I was able to get ethernet working by updating some kernel extensions to the latest version. Besides that, I installed some other kernel extensions to be able to install the Nvidia drivers as described in the guide. This is a full list the kernel extensions I’m currently using:
So far, my machine is working great. I haven’t tried audio yet since I’m using a Bluetooth headset (the Bluetooth dongle was working out of the box). Airdrop is not working for some reason, but I haven’t managed to look into that yet.